Sunday, June 14, 2015

Burda 6998...Adding neck facing and Narrow Shoulder Adjustment

I love Burda 6998. It has become one of my favorite TNT patterns .




This pattern fit very well out of the envelope but I did tweak it a bit.

I found the boat neck too wide on my narrow shoulders and as the space between the armhole and the neckline was very narrow,  I decided to not make my usual NSA. Instead , this is what I did.


I cut off the shoulder area as seen in the pic above and moved it  in 1/2". The neckline was perfect after that. It created a little jag in the armhole but ,using my French Curve,I trued up the armhole and the sleeve fit fine.




I really dislike how neck facings have a tendency to roll to the outside in many garments even after understitching. The method I'm describing here wouldn't work for the sleeveless version of this dress.

I drew a facing that include the upper part of the armhole for both front and back.



I cut it out of the dress fabric



I stitched it to the neckline, understitched it, trimmed the seam allowance  and turned it to the inside .




I then sewed it to the armhole before I put in the sleeves.
That's all there is to it and the neck facing stays put. I love it!


                                         


And in case  you're curious, here's the dress in the photos above.


Thanks for stopping by.
More later from,



3 comments:

  1. Great information and very cute dress Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just letting you know that I review your sewing lessons regularly! Thanks, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the very detailed post! I love how you post photos of each detail with the markings. I find your post very educational post just like my go-to sewing blogger Kayla Green. All the best!

    ReplyDelete