Saturday, January 10, 2015

Making a Twisted Fur Infinity Scarf

I  posted fur scarves I made as Christmas gifts on my other blog SewPassionista by DIANA and was asked for a tutorial , so here it is.



You'll need .4 meters (16") of a soft , drapey faux fur . Be careful in choosing your fur. The backing makes all the difference. If it feels stiff, it won't do.


Usually, this fabric comes in 150cm. (60") width. That will be too long. I made mine 33" long by 16"



If your fur is quite long or thick, it's best to shave the seam allowances. That's quite easy to do. Use your shears and clip off the fur as in the photo below. Be prepared for a mess!



Pin and sew the length of  the scarf using a longer stitch length. I used 3.5. This will give you a long tube.

Turn right side out . Place a pin or other mark  at the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 way marks at each end of the scarf. This is an important step when you sew the two ends together but is a little hard to explain why (so I won't! Just trust me!)



Now  lay the tube on your table. Twist the right hand end  and butt it against the left end . ( I hope that makes sense).
                                                        This is half a twist

                                                  This is a complete twist



 Pin with right sides of fur together matching the seams, the 1/4 and 1/2  marks.Sew this part of the seam and stop.




 Rearrange the ends of the scarf and pin the next 1/4 of the seam. This will probably be as far as you can sew by machine.




 Once you've sewn that far, you  will turn in the seam allowances of the last 1/4 and either hand stitch   or what I did was zig zagged it shut by just catching the fabric when I zigged  and sewing off the fabric when I zagged !! Does that make sense?






When you pull on the seam and fluff it, The stitching doesn't show at all..



I think these scarves are beautiful , elegant and so comfortable to wear . I hope you will try one!
Please let me know if the instuctions are not clear.

                                               Bad pic but that's all I have !






5 comments:

  1. That looks very cozy! Thanks for the idea. I'll bet you had to brush out your feed dogs after those scarves. Lucky recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea for using fake fur. I will have to try this. Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Informative blog. Thank you for the creative idea. I will must try this. My brother love to wear such outfits so I purchased a fur scarf online through amifur.com for my brother last week and my brother satisfied with this. You may also try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the finished width--I saw 16" x 33" fabric so would finished width be 8"? I love the twist idea.

    ReplyDelete