Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#11.Fusible Stay Tape

If you're like me, you don't always have access to all the latest sewing gadgets or notions.

I've often heard Sandra Betzina talk about using fusible stay tape but have never been able to find it in fabric stores. Well,let me tell you ,if you use fusible interfacing,you can make your own.Just cut strips (I cut mine about 1/4" or 3/8") along the grain or along the most stable direction of your interfacing.



I do this most often from scraps,but I've also done larger quantities from bigger pieces too.

I've used these strips at waistlines, roll lines of jackets,necklines,shoulder seams,and I'm sure you can think of other places to use them as well.



Just a note here. When you are using these strips along a curved seam,you may have to clip the strip a little to make it conform to the curve.




So there.I hope this hint is a useful one and that you'll try it.

3 comments:

  1. Diana, I have been reading this blog and the hints while having a cup of tea on my lunch break at work. This tip I will be using this week on my plaid skirt. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this advise. I am unable to find stay tape where I live in Sweden. I made a cardigan and it was a disaster.The neckline was wavy and all my hard work went to waste.

    I will use this tip to make stay tape for the neckline. However, I have a question, does this method also work on knits?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana. When using fusible tape on armholes and necklines, do you fuse both the front and back or just the fronts?

    ReplyDelete