Sunday, May 1, 2011

Invisible Stitch Patch Pockets

First of all, I want to give credit for this method to Sandra Betzina and Ron Collins of Power Sewing. I learned to do this by watching their Web TV video. I highly recommend this site and enjoy my subscription for the web shows immensely.

I used this method on this jacket and enjoyed learning the process. I really encourage you to try this couture touch.



Step 1- Sew your pocket lining to the pocket at the top.



Step 2-Press seam and fold at top of pocket.(My pocket facing isn't as deep as it should be.)

.

Step 3-Pin pocket lining in place on garment and carefully mark a seam allowance of a little more than 5/8".



Step 4-Sew around lining.


Step 5-Press seam towards middle for both the lining and the pocket.



Step 6-Fold pocket over lining, pin in place and hand stitch the pocket in place over the lining carefully from the inside of the jacket.






This method is so much easier than the method described in Threads January 2011 issue.

I'm really sold on this way of sewing patch pockets and I think you will be too. So go ahead and try it!

Please let me know what you think and thank you for looking in on my sewing lessons!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing how do this type of pocket. I have read about it but seeing the pictures is so much better. Beautiful jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FABRIC???? It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat way of doing it! I have handstitched but without machine stitching the lining. This would be much more secure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous jacket and thanks for an awesome tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is an amazing tip! I 'm so going to try this.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fab tutorial - thanks.

    ReplyDelete