Tuesday, January 26, 2010

#2. Making Alterations with Fusible Interfacing

I never seem to have any heat resistant tape on hand so when I need to make alterations to a pattern such as extra length or a full bust adjustment (usually called an FBA among sewers)I use scraps of fusible interfacing instead. It works great!

I save almost every scrap of fusible interfacing in plastic bags for this purpose.When I buy new interfacing,I also will cut straight strips of various widths to have on hand when needed.

You need a piece of the interfacing for both under and over the pattern piece you are altering.In the photo below ,I'm ironing the bottom layer of the interfacing. No photo of the next step but add another strip to the top and iron in place. Very sturdy too.



In this photo, I've done an FBA. and added length to this jacket in two different places.

Shown are from left to right, the front, the front facing, the side front,and the under arm piece which eliminates the side seam.

1 comment: